Become a Member of Action for Older Persons
To kick off AOP’s 2017 Annual Membership Drive, I extend this invitation of membership to all of AOP’s friends who may have benefited from – or have loved ones who have benefited from – our services, programs, and activities. The financial support AOP receives during this Membership Drive will be used to fund tried-and-true initiatives that provide advocacy, individualized counseling, and unbiased information to empower older adults and their families to make informed decisions. In a community that is aging faster than state and national averages, we know our efforts are more vital than ever.
We also know this – Without your support, we cannot continue to help you meet tomorrow’s needs. Like most private, nonprofit organizations we are challenged by an uncertain political climate and reduced public funding. Yet as our community grows older, the demand for our services has never been greater. We have seen many new faces since we last reached out – with 1,083 first time recipients of Medicare counseling services in 2016. We greatly appreciate that new Medicare Beneficiaries, Managed Long-Term Care Plan enrollees, and residents of Long-Term Care facilities trust the expertise of our staff and volunteers.
AOP’s staff and volunteers were able to gain even greater access to health care services for local seniors in 2016. The estimated medical and prescription drug savings for those who received assistance totaled more than $1.75 million. AOP’s programs assisted more than 5,000 individuals in 2016 and 2017 has already brought significantly higher demand.
AOP plans to continue to expand our services. This year, we will provide Medicare counseling services at additional locations, create new seminars, and work diligently to better inform you of scams targeting area seniors. If you become an AOP member and chose to provide your email, we will now send a once monthly (no more often) Mini-Messenger. The Mini-Messenger will keep you up-to-date on scams targeting seniors, as well as other important information and reminders.
In addition to supporting AOP’s programs and services, by becoming an individual ($25), family ($40) or supporting ($60) member you gain access to the following basic benefits:
- New: Members will have one week to schedule appointments for Medicare’s open enrollment period (Oct. 15 – Dec. 7) before this services is opened to others!
- New: Members receive free assistance completing living wills and health care proxies, while others pay $10
- A subscription to AOP’s Mature Messenger, mailed quarterly
- New: A subscription to AOP’s Mini-Messenger – the new monthly emailed newsletter that will focus on necessary alerts, such as scams targeting seniors and other important information
- Priority reservations for AOP seminars when seating is limited and priority consideration for obtaining AOP services when wait lists are necessary
- Free lamination of your (likely ragged looking) Medicare card
- Members-only access to technology tutoring including once a yearly, private, free half-hour computer, tablet, or cellphone tutoring sessions and a $5 hourly discount on any follow-up tutoring
- New: Free shredding of private, confidential materials at AOP’s annual Shredding Day
By choosing to become a supporting member, you gain access to the following, additional benefits:
- Recognition in AOP’s Annual Campaign Contributors’ Listing in the Mature Messenger
- Access to select AOP-copyrighted materials
- New: A copy of the 2017 Elder Services Guide mailed to you in June 2017
To become an AOP member today, click below to submit an online payment.