To kick off AOP’s 2018 Annual Membership Drive, I extend this invitation of membership to all of AOP’s friends who have benefited from – or have loved ones who have benefited from – our services, programs, and activities. The financial support AOP receives during this Membership Drive will be used to fund tried-and-true initiatives that provide advocacy, individualized counseling, and unbiased information to empower older adults and their families to make informed decisions. In a community that is aging faster than state and national averages, we know our efforts are more vital than ever.
We also know this – without your support, we cannot continue to help you meet tomorrow’s needs. Like most private, nonprofit organizations, we are challenged by an uncertain political climate and reduced public funding. Yet as our community grows older, the demand for our services has never been greater. We have seen many new faces since we last reached out – with 1,162 first time recipients of Medicare counseling services in 2017. We greatly appreciate that new Medicare Beneficiaries, Managed Long-Term Care Plan enrollees, and residents of Long-Term Care facilities trust the expertise of our staff and volunteers.
AOP’s staff and volunteers were able to gain even greater access to health care services for local seniors in 2017. The estimated medical and prescription drug savings for those who received assistance totaled more than $2.7 million. AOP’s programs assisted more than 5,000 individuals in 2017 and 2018 has already brought significantly higher demand.
In addition to supporting AOP’s programs and services, by becoming an individual ($25), family ($40) or supporting ($60) member you gain access to the following basic benefits:
- Members will have one week to schedule appointments for Medicare’s open enrollment period (Oct. 15 – Dec. 7) before this service is opened to others
- Members receive free assistance completing living wills and health care proxies, while others pay $10
- A subscription to AOP’s Mature Messenger – mailed quarterly
- A subscription to AOP’s Mini-Messenger – the monthly emailed newsletter that will focus on necessary alerts, such as scams targeting seniors and other important information
- Priority reservations for AOP seminars when seating is limited and priority consideration for obtaining AOP services when wait lists are necessary
- Free lamination of your NEW Medicare card – look for your new Medicare card to arrive beginning June 2018 for New York State residents
- Free shredding of private, confidential materials at AOP’s annual Shredding Day – Friday, August 3, 2018 from 11:00 am to 1:00 pm
- Access to technology tutoring for $10 per hour
By choosing to become a supporting member, you gain access to the following, additional benefits:
- Recognition in AOP’s Annual Campaign Contributors’ Listing in the Mature Messenger
- Access to technology tutoring including once a yearly, private, free half-hour computer, tablet, or cellphone tutoring sessions and a $5 hourly discount on any follow-up tutoring
- Access to select AOP-copyrighted materials
To become an AOP member today, click below to submit an online payment.